Saturday 22 July 2017

I have nothing

Last post was "Do I really have nothing?", this post is about the "Cantonese version" of that song, or rather a Cantonese song with the same tune and a copied line of the chorus sung in Mandarin, which has basically nothing else to do with last post's song. This is something Wang Jie does a lot: take a Mandarin song of his, copy the tune, put completely unrelated lyrics in Cantonese into said tune, and give it the same title. In this case, almost the same title: the Cantonese version is called I have nothing. As usual, the translations will be recorded and uploaded to Youtube sometime.
I only met this song somewhere in summer 2012, IIRC, and the translation is from that period. More specifically, it is manuscripted on the usual printout of the 28/7/12 file, and dated to 10/8/12 by the usual mega-intro. There are four different lines in the manuscript vs. the below version: «How many fears I ha’m hidin’ in my honllow heart», which is basically a couple wrong beginnings fixed in the manuscript, «I’ve ledft the dream I started with», which just features a spello which was canceled, «Will you still grudge in your heart or put off such ire?», finally an actual alternate version, and «Give me a loving feelin’ warm in þ 心?», where the difference is that curiously abbreviated «in the heart».
Curiously, the 18/8/12 file has «How much the fear I’m hiding in my hollow heart» as its only difference from the version below, and that was not in the manuscript, which means I must have undone it at some point. Indeed, it was undone between the 9/7/13 and 9/8/13 files.
The part sung in Mandarin would have Jyutping "Si6-fau2 ngo5 zan1 dik1 jat1-mou4-so2-jau5". Note that the video these lyrics are based on is unavailable now, and the replacement changes «Can1-ngoi3 dik1 nei5 si6-fau2 gam1-sam1 / Kap1 ngo5 jat1 dim2 sam1 leoi5 nyun5 dik1 ngoi3-ji3» (Are you, far away, willing / To give me a little feeling of love warm in the heart?) to «Can1-ngoi3 dik1 nei5 si6-fau2 zam1-sam1 / Kap1 ngo5 jat1 dim2 sam1 leoi5 nyun5 dik1 ngoi3-ji3» (Are you, far away, really / Giving me a little feeling of love warm in the heart?).


Chinese
一无所有

怎会栖所在这空间
一片空景的是我的恐惧
黑暗之中回望伸手
只信轻轻触觉你的脸庞

*空虛的心里影着多少的畏惧
当初的美梦也离开

#是否我 真的一无所有
心中怨恨难道要继续不断逃
是否我 真的一无所有
不知哪日才能够拥得所有

多少凄酸亦试得多
多少尖酸的话亦都听过
亲爱的你是否甘心
给我一点心里暖的爱意
Jat1-mou4-so2-jau5/6

Zam2 wui4 cai1-so2 zoi6 ze3 hung1-gaan3
Jat1 pin3 hung1 ging2 dik1 si6 ngo5 dik1 hung2-geoi6
Hak1-ngam3 zi1 zung1 wui4-mong6 san1-sau2
Zi2 seon3 hing1-hing1 zuk1-gok3 nei5 dik1 lim5-pong4

* Hung1-heoi1 dik1 sam1 leoi5 jeng2-zoek6 do1-siu3 dik1
Dong1-co1 dik1 mei5 mung6 jaa5 lei4-hoi1 [wai3-geoi6

# Shìfǒu wǒ zhēnde yīwúsuǒyǒu?
Sam1 zung1 jyun3-han6 naan6-dou3 jiu3 gai3-zuk6 bat1 dyun3-tou4
Shìfǒu wǒ zhēnde yīwúsuǒyǒu?
Bat1 zi1 naa5 jat6 coi4 nang4-gau3 jung2 dak1 so2-jau5

Do1-siu3 cai1-syun1 jik6 si3 dak1 do1
Do1-siu3 zim1-syun1 dik1 waa6 jik6 dou1 ting3-gwo3
Can1-ngoi3 dik1 nei5 si6-fau2 gam1-sam1
Kap1 ngo5 jat1 dim2 sam1 leoi5 nyun5 dik1 ngoi3-ji3


English

I have nothing

How will I perch in open air?
It is emptiness that I truly fear
In the dark I stretch out my hands
I just hope to gently caress your face

* How many fears I’m hiding in my hollow heart
I’ve left the dream I started with

Well do I really not have a thing?
Will you still grudge in your heart and not leave such ire?
Well do I really not have a thing?
I don’t know when I e’er can really have you

How much coldness I’ve had to taste
And how many bitter words I have heard
Are you willing, my darling, to
Give me a lovin’ feeling warm in your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment